Monday, July 15, 2013

Wish I could skip ahead

Last April I stopped drinking for about 3 weeks. That was the first time in many many years I had gone that long and unfortunately I haven't done it since. I remember feeling good. I don't remember why I started drinking again. I think when I stopped then I wasn't really thinking of it on a long term basis, I was just thinking I should give it a rest. Today marks 8 days sober. I made it through the weekend and I have made it through 2 days of being home all by myself. In the past time home by myself has been a good enough reason to have drinks. I wouldn't have to answer to anyone about it. This time it is a good time for me to sleep, read and heal. I am just taking time away from the world and just being. I am watching mindless tv, reading mindless crap, checking in on sober blogs and Booze Free Brigade, reading "Drinking, a Love Story" I have no desire to be social. I just feel kind of blah and tired. I am just really grateful for the solitude right now.
 I just want a quick fix, answer all the questions right, take this pill - poof your over it kind of deal. It doesn't work that way though. I only get rewarded for my sobriety 1 day at a time. I cannot earn bonus time for good behavior. I can only get to 100 days sober by being sober for 100 days. There are no shortcuts.

Cheers to another non-hungover morning tomorrow!


2 comments:

  1. 8 days is a big deal because you're more than half-way to forming a new habit! (14 days to until it's a habit, right? I think that's right). Anyway, just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be at 100 days before you know it!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and you are right. If eight days (now 9!) were easy I would have done it before now! Thank you for your support!

    ReplyDelete