Sunday, July 28, 2013

Water = Booze?

Today is 21 days. This is about the time I drank last time. That was a year and a half ago and when I quit then I wasn't really quitting forever, just taking a break. I knew I drank too much, but it wasn't a big problem for me. So now, looking at the 21 day mark it is feeling like uncharted territory. I haven't been here yet, well at least since I stopped nursing my youngest kid. I am proud of myself and relieved that I am ready to just keep saying no. I haven't felt my resolve waiver yet. 

Yesterday I spent the day on the river with my brother in law and his wife plus a few of our kiddies and their friends.  BIL brought beer and a few drinks for his wife. We floated for a while and then ran in to other folks we know and hung out on the beach. I was offered beer at least 4 times. Coors light? Bud light? Mikes hard lemonade? Do you just want a sip? Here can you hold my beer for a minute? I have always joked that I'd rather drink water than Coors or Bud and I guess it's true! Although I wasn't tempted anyway so it really wouldn't have mattered what it was. I didn't need it. It wouldn't have made the day better. Still it was so interesting how often it was offered. I haven't told anyone that I am not drinking so they weren't being malicious in any way. They were just being nice and doing what you do on the river. I have been around my BIL and SIL quite a few times lately where I have turned down drinks so I am kind of waiting for them to ask me about it.

I find it so interesting how much being on the water is associated with drinking. It almost seems like a given. Hanging out poolside, rafting (floating, not whitwater!), going to the lake/river for the day, boating, going on a cruise all seem to be reasons to drink and in a lot of cases to excess. They just go hand in hand. I hadn't realized how much the 2 are intertwined until the last few weeks. The times when I have been most surrounded by alcohol have been during or right after days spent on the water. It must be a vacation mentality.

I am riding high - enjoying being sober and enjoying being present on and off the water.


No comments:

Post a Comment