Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Sugar Sugar Sugar!!!!

As far as addictive behavior goes I have replaced alcohol with sugar.  I mean it is filling in all the holes left by not drinking.  During the day I think about treats I can have.  I "treat" myself to a cookie almost every afternoon.  I plan a Friday night with a piece of cake and the latest copy of People magazine.  It's like an orgy of junk food on Fridays - junk for my mind, junk for my body.  I sneak the treats so that my kids don't see them because goodness knows I wouldn't let them eat this way. 



So, because I am sober and just slightly more aware of myself these days I have decided to kick the sugar habit.  I am eliminating all my "treats".  No cake, no candy, no cookies, no tonic-berry lemonade.  No treats of this type at all. I have read that sugar is an addiction just like many other addictions, so I am trying to mentally accept that this week (I'm on day 2) is going to suck.  It is going to suck like quitting drink sucked.  I can tell myself all day long that this is good for me and that my body needs to detox, but it sucks.

I also know that this early in my sobriety I am supposed to just be kind to myself and not try to limit too much stuff.  I totally get that, but I am not okay with my behavior in regards to sweets.  I do not like the sneaking and hiding and doing something that I know is not good for me.  It is this reason that I am making this change.  I feel like I have to be vigilant about addictive behavior and I am looking to nip this one in the bud quick!

Oh, and 5 weeks sober as of last Sunday, so that's pretty cool too.

No comments:

Post a Comment